The unit was constituted June 1, 1821, in the Regular Army as the 1st Regiment of Artillery and organized from existing units with Headquarters at Fort Independence, Massachusetts.
The regiment was broken up February 13, 1901, and its elements reorganized and redesignated as separate numbered companies and batteries of Artillery Corps.
It was reconstituted July 1, 1924, in the Regular Army as the 1st Coast Artillery and partially organized with Headquarters at Fort de Lesseps, Canal Zone.
The regiment was broken up November 1, 1944, and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
After November 1, 1944, the above units underwent changes as follows:
Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Antiaircraft Artillery Group; 1st and 54th Antiaircraft Artillery Missile Battalions; and the 1st Field Artillery Battalion (organized 1907) consolidated, reorganized and redesignated March 19, 1959, as the 1st Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System.
The 1st Artillery (less former 1st Field Artillery Battalion) reorganized and redesignated September 1, 1971, as the 1st Air Defense Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System (former 1st Field Artillery Battalion concurrently reorganized and redesignated as the 1st Field Artillery – hereafter separate lineage). The 1st Air Defense Artillery was withdrawn June 16, 1987, from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System.
From February to May 2003, the battalion served in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Alpha and Bravo Batteries deployed to provide air defense for the Kingdom of Bahrain, while the balance of the battalion deployed to Kuwait in support of operations there.
In February 2006, the battalion was notified of deployment to Okinawa, Japan, to provide air defense for key assets in the Pacific region and one November 30, 2006, the 1-1 Air Defense Artillery Regiment was restationed to Kadena Air Base.
Valorous Unit Award – Saudi Arabia & Bahrain
Army Superior Unit Award – 1984 ~ 1985